So here we are in 2017, all excited & little nervous about the changes that 2017 will bring. But before stepping into the future, let’s take a deep dive and find out what changed in the way we advertise, especially via search engine ads aka PPC.
Many experts predicted that Yahoo might get back on the track when the CEO, Marissa Mayer announced that they are going to focus on the mobile search. And also because Verizon was about to close the deal with Yahoo. But expert predictions failed and so does the IT guy, who were responsible for the security of data of over a billion account users.
But let’s not waste our time on what could have happened, and focus on what will happen and how it’ll impact us.
Changes in the Shopping trend
The vast reach of Amazon, Facebook’s dynamic product ads, and even the Pinterest’s promoted pins have put Google under the pressure to get everything they can from the product search and product listing as. From now on, you’ll be able to see Carousels of product listings ads in Google image searches, YouTube, and 3rd party retailer sites.
Google also announced that sellers must have at least 150+ ratings in the past 12 months if they want to show it in their ads. Also, Google announced that now the GTINs will be required for brand name products sold by multiple merchants.
Local ad packs and maps
Google took everyone by surprise when they introduced ads in the local pack and promoted pins in the Maps. Ads also started showing up in the local finder. In 2017, you need to keep an eagle eye on Google’s home service ads program because it has the potential.
The store visits continued to gain traction in Adwords, thanks to Google’s effort to connect online campaigns with offline impact. They announced that over 1 billion store visits have been recorded in 11 countries.
Revised Targeting Strategy
Google is shifting its strategy from intent targetting to the audience + intent targeting, due to the pressure from social media giants like Facebook. They also announced that they are going ot support cross-device retargeting. They are also providing many features that will help us narrow down audience and get the maximum bang for our advertising dollar.
- A Social Extensions test was launched by bing which got faded away.
- Swipeable carousels. Started showing Sitelinks.
- Affiliate extensions didn’t flourish.
- Message extensions came out of beta.
- Addition of native inventory to the Diplay Network by Google
- Conversions is the new way of measure performance in AdWords.
- Now salesforce users can import their lead data into AdWords.
- Many weird things happened in the AdWords Keyword Planner.
- Payday loan ads are now banned, thanks to Google.
- Google is closing it’s compare products in the US and UK.
- Automated bidding in AdWords is recently updated.